Elizabeth "Liz" Grondin, the mother of 10 children, was the inspiration for Grondin's Hair Centers. Starting with a stool in the kitchen, an old pair of scissors, and used clippers, she taught her boys about clipper cuts. The girls were taught how to do roller sets, pin curls, finger waves, and backcombing. In the later years, the kids returned the favor and taught her about blow-drying and curling irons. Out of this kitchen, six of the ten children and ten of thirty-three grandchildren became licensed hairdressers, with 9 of her ten children working at one time or another for Grondin's Hair Centers.
The Elizabeth Emma Grondin Memorial Scholarship was created as a tribute to the woman who inspired it all. Her goal was to create a resource for students who may not otherwise be able to achieve their goal of becoming licensed cosmetologists.
- One scholarship is awarded per each class
- As a Cosmetology award recipient, you will be awarded up to $1,000 from the cost of your tuition.
- As a Manicure or Esthetician award recipient, you will be awarded up to $300.00 from the cost of your tuition.
- The scholarship is awarded to initial enrollments with Grondin’s College of Cosmetology (those who are at the beginning of their cosmetology education). It does not apply to transfer or re-enrollment students.
- Download and complete the scholarship application form by clicking here.
- Write a 500-word essay explaining how this scholarship will assist you in achieving your career goals. The essay must be typed or written neatly.
- Obtain one signed reference letter (cannot be a family member).
- Email the completed application, your 500-word essay, and your letter of recommendation to
- Sign your full name on the essay and the date written.
About your Essay
- Your essay should be 500 words.
- Tell us a little about yourself.
- Describe your desire to become a part of the beauty industry.
- Explain why you think you would be a good candidate for this scholarship award.
- Describe your future plans and goals.